Spring Optimist Clinic 2021
The premier 3-day coaching clinic for Optimist Sailors
Date & Location
23 Oct 2021, 9:00 am NZDT – 25 Oct 2021, 7:00 pm NZDT
Worser Bay Boating Club, Marine Parade, Seatoun, Wellington 6022, New Zealand
About the Event
Labour Weekend Optimist Clinic
Saturday 23 to Monday 25 October 2021
- Learn from some top New Zealand and experienced local coaches.
- Kick off this season as your best yet and take your sailing to the next level.
- Get ready for the 2021 North Island Championships at the Taupo Yacht Club Friday 5 to Sunday 7 November 2021
- The main aim of the clinic is to improve the skills of all participants during three days of intensive training and activities.
- Sailors must be able to independently rig, launch, and retrieve their own fibreglass Opti and have some race experience at Open or Green Fleet level.
- The venue is the Worser Bay Boating Club.
- The cost is $150 per sailor.
- Upon acceptance, you will be sent more information and a programme for the clinic.
Accommodation and Meals
No accommodation is provided for sailors. Please supply your own lunches, drink bottle and snacks.
Boats and Gear
As well as your own Optimist and beach trolley, we suggest bringing an extensive supply of spare parts; just the same as you would if you were attending a large regatta. Full sailing gear, including hats & buoyancy aids, along with ample warm clothing and suitable footwear will also need to be supplied by you.
As sailors will spend many hours afloat, consideration must be given to protective clothing for arms and legs (as well as faces). We suggest long thermals or rash suits. Please bring plenty of sunblock.
The aim is to enable sailors to develop advanced boat handling skills for heavy conditions. On successful completion of this clinic sailors will be able to:
- Sail in heavy breeze with advanced Optimist sailing technique
- Use optimist equipment independently for typical weather conditions
- Advanced tacking, gybing, bailing, pumping, and hiking
- Advanced upwind, reaching and downwind speeds
- Starting tricks
- World Sailing rules of sailing
The clinic organisers do not accept any liability for loss or damage (material or personal) suffered during or arising at the clinic. It is the individual’s responsibility, if so desired, to ensure they have adequate insurance cover for boats, equipment and personal effects.
All sailors attending must be members of a NZ Yacht Club
Optimist Spring Clinic 2021